Tuesday, 26 March 2013

Pebbles strikes back!

I was just finishing my Tuesday clinic at Potters Bar when the receptionist tapped at my door to say she had a very upset lady on the phone that would like to bring her poorly cat in to see me that afternoon, could I stay on whilst she comes over?
‘Of course I can, I’ll have another cup of tea whilst I wait for her’ I said.
It was a summer day (you remember those don’t you, a day when the sun shines all the time!) so, although the evening was approaching, the daylight still flooded in through the clinic’s glass frontage. As it was Tuesday, Richard Allport, the homeopathic Vet and owner of the clinic, was also in the surgery with many clients coming and going.
I was waiting for the poorly cat by reception, drinking my tea and chatting to the receptionist, when I could see a young lady struggling from her car with a small basket: she walked with certainty towards our door which I opened for her. As the receptionist was busy on the phone the young lady placed the wire basket on the floor beside me, whilst she waited. It was at this point I could see the contents of the basket, at first I thought it was a kitten but soon realised it was a ferret-like creature: rust in colour with a cute, petite face and dark eyes. ‘Well’, I said to the woman, ‘It is the first time I have seen one of those in here, are you here to see Richard?’ ‘No’ the woman replied, ‘I’m here to see the healer, Helen.’ You can imagine the surprise on my face when I realised this was the lady I was waiting for but certainly not the ‘cat’ I was waiting for. ‘Oh’ I said, ‘That’s me’ as I held my hand out to shake hers. ‘Please excuse the shocked look; I thought I was going to see a cat.’ I said ‘She is a polecat’ the lady replied. Now it all became clear, the receptionist, also not used to polecats at the clinic, was sure the lady had said cat.
I showed the young lady (Diane) into my room via the tea machine. As we settled down I asked Diane the polecat’s name, ‘we call her Pebbles’ she replied. I also asked how I should handle Pebbles as I had not come across one before. ‘Oh’, she said ‘just as if you would a small cat, she is very tame and will not bite you.’ Very upset and with tears in her eyes Diane explained that Pebbles had cancer, and the Vet could do no more for her. I was a bit of a last hope for little Pebbles and Diane.
We decided to place Pebbles on the low cabinet top at the edge of the room where I said hello to her. She was a darling, I let her sniff the new surroundings and my hand before I started the healing, Diane was settled on a chair to the left of me where she could see her baby Pebbles and my soothing music was playing in the background. I went into healing mode and placed my hand ever so gently on Pebbles head, barely touching her, as the healing flowed into her she stood still for me. I did my usual introduction for a first healing, making her feel safe and secure, promising I was not going to hurt her. Diane commented on how Pebbles seemed to be enjoying the effect. All seemed well to me in her head, I ran my hand down her tiny body along her back towards her torso, still we seemed okay, no healing needed there, so I carried on down towards her lower back. Simultaneously as I reached her abdomen, I felt a surge of healing enter Pebbles body whilst Pebbles whipped her head around towards my hand: in a split second this docile darling had her sharp teeth into my finger!
Diane half rose from her chair, unsure if she should rescue me from Pebbles’ grip. I stayed motionless, the natural instinct to pull away at the first sing of her mouth heading for me was not there neither was any worry or fear. My emotions remained calm and healing as her teeth pressed either side of my fore-finger with enough pressure to know she had me but not enough to puncture my skin. ‘Okay’ I said to Pebbles calmly and slowly ‘we’ll just stay here a while shall we?’ The three of us were now frozen in time: Diane half standing from her chair, Pebbles bent double with her teeth around my finger and myself motionless waiting for Pebbles to make her mind up.
In my mind I spoke gently to her, again with re-assurance this time I let her know that I was aware of the discomfort and pain in her abdomen, I promised I would not hurt her, that I would make her feel better, all of the time continuing the gentle flow of healing into her tiny body. It felt like three or four minutes unmoving but I suspect it was little more than a minute before the slow motion of Pebbles mouth eased away from my finger, her head returned to her front and she re-assumed her relaxed, still posture. ‘Alright’ I said softly to Pebbles, I’ll carry on now. Diane, looking even more shocked, carefully returned to her seat as silently as possible, not wishing to upset the karma of situation. I continued with Pebbles healing as she relaxed completely, almost asleep.
Once I had finished, Diane and I spoke quietly so as not to disturb Pebbles repose. ‘That was amazing, she has never done that before, are you hurt?’ Diane asked ‘No’ I replied, ‘she was just letting me know not to hurt her there.’
I had to give Diane the news that I felt little Pebbles was riddled with the cancer, I hoped the healing would help with her time left in this life and when the time comes, help her pass swiftly and painlessly. Diane explained how deep down she knew Pebbles did not have long but needed to try everything before giving up on her baby. She thanked me for the obvious good effects the healing made and left the clinic sad and teary. I did not see them again.
For those few moments whilst Pebbles had her grip on me, we had a complete connection with each other, she was well aware of her impending fate but being an animal, very complacent about it as she knew her transition would be to the next life and not into oblivion, her only concern was for the grief of her loving owner, Diane.

No comments: